Saturday, November 14, 2009

Conversation on Water

More often than not, I choose to blog about the things we do or the most FUN funniest moments.  It seems my kids always have words that are flying out of their mouths that make me laugh and realize how naive they are.  But then they have moments, when I see their optimism for the future and think "why can't everyone think like them??".

Yesterday, after school I took the kids to Panera Bread for snack.  We ordered almost everything in the bakery section-- a brownie, carrot muffin, cinnamon roll and two chocolate chip cookies.  Along with our treats we had hot chocolate and waters.  We sat and talked about lots of stuff-- mostly school related-- then Claire says, "Every house has a bathroom."  I paused to think about what I needed to say.  I always tell my kids the truth to give them a broader understanding of the world and how it works.

I told them that, unfortunately, not every house has a bathroom because not every house has running water.  Chase responds with "well they have porta-potties."  I smile at the thought, and say that it is a possibility.  Then-- after the kids refill our water-- the conversation shifts.  It's been raining since Tuesday... thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Ida.  Puddles line the streets and parking lots.  Still on the bathroom conundrum, I insist that it's true and say, "In fact, not every house has running water."  They're intrigued.  Chase having a confused look on his face quickly chimes in and says, "That's impossible.  Everyone needs water.  Water does good things for your body."  I can only imagine that my constant pushing of "you need water to live" comments are running through Chase's brain.  He's thinking the most about this, I can tell by the comments he's making.  He's digging for a hole in my story.  What about washing hands, showers, baths, drinking, washing dishes/clothes???... he knows that water is essential to our lives... and it's evident that he doesn't understand how someone could be without.  His list goes on and on... I have to stop him and explain to him that in other countries there are people who get their water by taking a cup to a puddle in the street.  They all three, in unison, say, "That's disgusting."  Words are flying, "You can't do that... you can get sick... that water is dirty..."  At that moment, Chase stops the prodding, and starts trying to figure out a solution-- that's what he does.

He then says, "What about building them a well??"

And there it is... optimism for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Rotary International builds wells all over the world so people have a safe water supply.

    ReplyDelete