Friday, September 18, 2009

Heartbreaker

Since Henri started preschool, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday have been the same. He always asks me "Where we going?" and as soon as I tell him "school".... he starts crying and telling me about how he doesn't want to go to school. Of course, I try my hardest to comfort him and tell him about all of the fun things he's going to do while he's there and even reassure him that I will stay for a little and play with him... but nothing I say or do helps.

So today, for the 6th time, I took Henri to school. He stays pretty close to me and keeps an eye on what I'm doing. I watch him play play-doe and help him get situated, but then there's the moment when he realizes that I'm going to leave. He suddenly becomes very clingy. I hold him and love him and tell him all the things he needs to hear. As I attempt to leave...Holding him, I try to pass him off to his teacher... only to have him hold tighter. Arms around my neck crying... "I don't want go school." I pry his fingers apart and hand him to his teacher. Screaming and crying... arms reaching for me... he looks at me in despair and desperation. I give him a kiss and tell him I'll be back.

I cry because I don't want to go... I don't want him to cry... I want to take him with me... and make it right. Only thing is... I'm not sure what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment