Friday, December 4, 2009

Cent(s)??

When I was in college at UNCW, I had a roommate that was from Garner, NC.  A southern girl 100%.  She said "pee-can", was convinced that BBQ was and could only be pig amongst many other things.  She, my other roommate (from LA), and I would get into debates all the time over her "Southern" ways.  One of our biggest debates was about how to use "cent".... or "cents" for that matter.  Catherine and I would try to explain to her that it is one cent, but anything over that is cents... emphasis on the "S".

Today, I was reminded of my first Southern friend as I handed Chase some change and he goes, "Sweet, I have 46 cent."

OMG... he didn't just say that!  

I corrected him.... repeatedly.  And as I explained to him that it's 46 cents... he told me that's how they teach it in school and I was wrong.  

I suppose this is what happens when you're born and raised in the South.  My old friend would be proud of my 100% Southern boy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment