Monday, January 18, 2010

Not Bad Words

I'm not sure what has been going on lately with my kids and bad language.

At dinner tonight, we were talking about "bad words" and Chase says, "Why did people even make bad words up?" I explained to them that it's not necessarily the fact that a "word" is bad, but more so the meaning placed on the word. For instance, someone could've made up Sloppy Joe and it could have been coined as a bad word.

Then Chase chimes in and says, "Yeah, but there are words that aren't even bad. Like shit. Shit is definitely not a bad word, because if you step in dog poop... you might say, 'Aw, shit I just stepped in dog poop.' See that's not bad." (I immediately covered my face) Then Claire added her two cents about what isn't bad (Damn) and then Henri his....he took the more appropriate route by saying "poop is better to use than shit." Nice.

All the while, I was in the midst of holding back laughter because they were SO serious.

Of course, I'm finding it rather funny that they are trying to justify this all at 7, 5, and 3... because I once did the same. Only when I was in middle school... my English teacher didn't like the way I made my cursive f's. She counted a spelling word wrong, and I said out loud, "That's a bunch of crap." She told me not to use bad language in her class... to which I replied, "Crap??? Crap's not a bad word."

Hmmm... for the most part the words they learned didn't come from me (nope... that's ALL Aaron... ok... and maybe Kanye... and a few other artists), but the justifications are all me :)


Come to think of it... here's where Claire got damn:

No comments:

Post a Comment